858-454-0771

History

  • Whaling Bar Lounge and Cafe La Rue - Historic Photo

Formerly a yarn shop and originally named "La Cita" (The Appointment), Café la Rue became a side-by-side restaurant to The Whaling Bar in the late 1930's.

The name Café la Rue was inspired from the art of Wing Howard which evokes French city and park scenes of the 1920s. Howard was commission by La V to create the murals while a resident of the hotel in the late 40's, he was later commissioned again in 1977 to paint replacement paintings of the same scenes since the 1947 pieces were deteriorating due to age, moisture and smoke.

Interesting Fact:

“la rue” in French means “the street” and all streets in La Jolla lead to Café la Rue and La Valencia Hotel. 

Close